Saturday, March 4, 2023
LIFE IN HOSPITAL ICU AND THEREAFTEER
Life iN HOSPIITALS AND ICUS and thereafter
I have been forgetful and occasionally remembering things that happened. Hence this blogpost:
Of late patients are counting days depending on some blood counts. Thee are like count of platelets, minerals etc. Mine was the case of drop in Sodium and Potassium to dangerous levels. However it does not happen in one go. It seems like
I had a viral fever towards end of October. I lost appetite and my food intake was very low. I was falling. When I fell unconscious, word went to my daughter Sarika and son-in-law Pramod. Through some known contact Pramod arranged for admission to Apollo hospitals, Kakinada and came from Hyderabad to Kakinada by road. I was brought in Ambulance by Sridhaar of Rcpuram and Pramod completed formalities of admission. Shashank came from London within 2 days. Lakshmi shifted to Hyderabad from Rcur with imp. Belongings.
I was in icu for nearly 15 days and then brought to Hyderabad to my daughter’s home. Pramod appointed a helper boy, by name Ganesh, to help me with my Diapers and some exercises for walking etc.
While bringing me to Hyderabad from Apollo hospital, Kakinada , Shashank accompanied me in the Ambulance. The Ambulance had a minor accident on the way with its tyre burst. After reaching Hyderabd also on the 2nd day , my tricycle for excersize hit a rock, and I fell down. A local doctor gave me pain killer injection. Both these incidents gave me nightmares and hallucinations for a few days.
Well, I am in the process of settling in Hyderabad (after some 40 years)
Now, let me describe how time was spent in the hospital.
Seeing my post yesterday my learned friend Sri LHRao commented “it was Dada Vasvani who said son –in –law should be known as a son –in- love and daughter –in-law as a daughter-in-love.”.How True. It is!. It is The desire and decision of the 4 pillars of My Family, viz, son, son in love , daughter and daughter in love that I started living in Hyderabad again. My helper Ganesh left in between on some pretext too
LIFE IN ICU
Icu means ‘I don’t see you’ in common parlance. I see only doctors and nurses. They were all helpful. Somehow some body made a video call from there and I was seen by Surampudi and RCpur families too. Each ICU accommodates bout 9 beds/ patients.
Piercing my body with needles starts about 4.30 in the morning. Taking blood sample, glucose injection, saline, X-ray, CT scan,, MRI scan , etc follow dependingon doctor/s recommendation. Someone would cleanse my body; someone puts on their uniform gown. I realized this body is not really mine. Anybody would experiment or exercise their formula or program.
Coffee by 6 to 6.30. And breakfast by 7.30 to 8 .brushing etc by Mouthwash liquid;. With a small tub placed in front of me. Once I asked sister to arrange for the small tub. She said “Sir, the time is 1 AM. Nobody does this now. I will wake you up about 5 AM. Then you can do.”
A barber used to visit by 5 AM and shave patients as per need.
Doctor’s visit could be anytime going round patients and enquiring about their condition. The visit could be twice sometimes. Sashank used to wait for him and enquire about me.
The icu life was rather comfortable and I got used to it. But then my condition improved and I got discharge after about 2 weeks.
I have become forgetful now-a-days. I forgot to mention some important events.
I remember that on Kartik Purnima day I was in the hospital. That night I had a dream in which I left my body and went to Golok and some other worlds. Maharishi Vishwamitra had become a friend of mine. He was the most intelligent human being and gave Gayatri Mantra to the world. He told me that we both are discovering the same Truth. I told Shashank about this.
Another horrible dream I had was some ominous wooden piece dangling from my neck. I could finally throw it in the fire of Havan in Saibaba temple in Rcpur.
With Shashank’s help and convincing Dr. Manohar, I shifted to a separate room at a premium. This room has attached bathroom TV and an additional bed for the attending person, that was Shashank.
ICU services continued in this room also.
Before shifting I used to tell Shshank to get some sweets for the hospital staff ., from a Marwadi sweets’ shop. Actually that shop is in Chikkdpalli, Hyderabad and for a while I forgot that I was in Kakinada hospital. Shashank must be laughing inwards.
Visitors are allowed. So, one day Sridhar, Hanumanth Rao and his daughter Dr. Gayatri visited me. Another day Lakshmi’s sister Sujata, her hubby Pradeep and my br-in-law Srinivas visited from Visakhapatnam. Shashank wondered at the deep knowledge of Pradeep on various matters, including my condition. Perhaps, he too experienced the same ailment !!
I shifted to Hyderabad by Ambulance, accompanied by Shashank.
I was taken to my in-laws’ Vedurumudi House in AS Rao nagar, Hyderabad. I am staying there with my daughter Sarika nd son-in-law Pramod before shifting to a rented portion in an opposite house in future.
Shashankk stayed for three more weeks and did yeoman service, while working for office online as per London timings. He was also guiding my helper Ganesh on various matters in serving me. Ganesh left after a month’s stay on some pretext. Shashank always gives excellent encouragement to regain active life.
After Shashank left, my wife Lakshmi became my care taker. Although emotionally attached her capacity to do things has come down very much. Several factors contributed to this. She had cataract operation at Shekar eye hospital, Bengaluru, that failed and lost her eye-sight in right eye. We tried several other therapies including “Access Bars “ therapy by one lady by name Bhagyasri. After that Lakshmi started feeling that she retired from her activities and also feeling offended and bad about any little adverse comment or deed. However she does not express openly except confiding in me. she had to undeergo histrctomy operaation (laparoscopy) in July 2022 which was not expected due to her old age at 71.
Whenever she is not able to attend to my needs I say “Life is easy as a patient , rather than living with a patient “
Home service is full of love and affection, and hospital service is dutiful .Therefore, struggling for better recuperation.
Dreams have been a regular feature now. Some time good ones like Mataji Krishna priya blessing, my Veena guruji playing Veena etc. Else bad ones. Funny and peculiar dreams have been frequent – like food items, forgotten incidents, old songs etc., often waking up in the middle. I feel these things are making me gullible and more vulnerable.
Sarika and Pramod are taking care of my stay and food etc. They have paid to the agency for providing helper and personal care services @Rs 22000 per month.
Sarika went to Ramachandrapuram and arranged for shifting house hold articles
At present my schedule includes sun bath and massage therapy with medical creams and oils after breakfast and fresh air sitting at tea time. Permanent servants at home help in this. Otherwise I need to gain strength much more to stand and walk for myself.
Svrao; Hyderabad; 3.3..2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment